Chicken Enchiladas (Gluten Free)

Today I thought I would post a recipe that I created a couple of months ago that I have been tweaking on and off since then.  I was diagnosed with Celiac’s disease in August and have been learning about the new way of eating ever since.  At first I mourned the loss of the bread, pasta and flour tortillas that I loved but when I discovered that I no longer felt sick when I stopped eating them I decided to find a way to still get the flavors I loved without the glutens.  Luckily I discovered that some corn tortillas are gluten free so I can still have Mexican food….I just generally make it at home now.

Tonight I made Chicken Enchilada Casserole, something that’s very easy to make and really good!   For anyone on WW out there the recipe is 6-7 points per serving, the recipe makes 8 servings.

Ingredients:

9 corn tortillas
1 medium onion, chopped medium
½ T olive oil
3 cups of chicken (I use rotisserie chicken from the store)
1 can of fat free refried beans
2/3 cup strained Pace Thick n Chunky salsa
2 tsp dried ground cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
2 cups 2% sharp cheddar, shredded
1 large jar of Herdez Salsa Verde

Directions:

1.      Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.      Char corn tortillas in a dry pan, set aside
3.      Add olive oil to the pan used for tortillas, when it is warm add the onions and cook
         until brown and carmelized, set aside to cool a bit
4.      Remove chicken from the bones, shredding into smaller pieces and placing into a
         large mixing bowl
5.      Add onions, refried beans, strained salsa and spices to the chicken and mix well
6.      Spray a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray and pour just enough of the
         Herdez in it to cover the bottom
7.      Place three of the tortillas on the bottom of the dish, top with ½ the chicken mixture,
         1/3 of the cheese and just enough Herdez to cover, repeat for one more layer
8.      Top with remaining tortillas, Herdez and cheese
9.      Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 20-25
         minutes until bubbly and brown on top
10.    Remove from oven and top loosely with foil, let set up for 5 minutes before cutting
         and serving
11.    Serve alone or with a topping of fat free sour cream and chopped green onions

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinterest Addiction

Not Quite Puttanesca Baked Chicken

Southwest Inspired Shepherd's Pie