Not Quite Puttanesca Baked Chicken

Today I decided to try a recipe that I put together based on several I have seen during my searches online.  I can’t remember exactly which one inspired this exact recipe, if I can find the source I will edit this post and give credit for the inspiration.  I call it not quite puttanesca because it’s a bit like that sauce but doesn’t have all of the normal ingredients.

This was a great dish, even my husband raved about it.  It’s almost like chicken parmesan without all of the carbs and fat.  The sauce that comes from the baking is saucy and reminds me of a quick fresh sauce.  Next time I make it I think I will add fresh basil because I love the flavor and I think it would give it even more flavor.  It’s a really simple dish to make, I think it would make a good weeknight dinner because you could prep the “sauce” ahead of time and just throw everything in the oven when you get home.  Serve it with a salad and a bit of bread (if you aren’t gluten free like me).  I hope you enjoy!

Not Quite Puttanesca Baked Chicken

4-5 roma tomatoes, cut into ½” chunks
2 cloves of garlic, grated
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
¼ C chopped olives (I used kalamata)
2 T olive oil
2 T corn starch
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb chicken breasts, tenderized slightly
¾ C part-skim mozzarella

Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Mix tomatoes, garlic, artichoke hearts, olive oil, arrowroot, italian seasoning, salt and pepper and set aside
  • Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in a greased baking dish
  • Surround the chicken with the tomato mixture
  • Bake 20-30 minutes or until chicken is nearly done
  • Top with mozzarella and bake until chicken is done and cheese is melted and a little brown
  • Let sit for 5 minutes before serving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acorn Squash Stuffed with Sausage, Apple, Cranberries and Goat Cheese

Pinterest Addiction